Too Fat Polka
1) Have you ever danced the polka? when I was a kid, we did in gym class
2) The centerpiece of a traditional Polish polka band is the accordion. The accordion is a substantial instrument. Have you ever tried to play it? I have not, but I had a few students over the years who could and it was always a treat when I could talk them into playing for me
3) The plump lady of this song cannot fit into the singer's car. How many passengers does your car comfortably seat? probably 5 adults
4) Would you like to lose a few pounds? of course
5) In the long ago 1940s, this song was considered amusing. Do you think it's still funny today? my eyebrows shot up to my hairline in shock--no, it's not funny!
6) Arthur Godfrey, who recorded this song, was a popular radio and TV host from the 1930s to the 1970s. Before this week's Saturday 9, had you ever heard of him? I had heard of his radio show
7) One of his more popular radio shows was Talent Scouts. A 1940s-50s version of American Idol, this show gave previously unknown singers their first national exposure. Godfrey could point with pride to having helped discover Tony Bennett and Patsy Cline, but he made a mistake by rejecting Elvis Presley. Tell us about something you'd do differently if you could get a "do over." uhmmmmm... nothing specific comes to mind
8) In 1953, Godfrey made news by having one of the nation's very first hip replacements. Have you ever been/would you be part of a clinical trial, either for a new drug or a new medical procedure? I would!
9) RANDOM QUESTION: You and a friend are shopping. She tries on an expensive sweater and enthusiastically asks what you think. You think it looks awful. Do you tell her the truth? definitely--especially because my friends are on teacher budgets so a splurge like that would have to look spectacular